Austin Resource: AMBIS
AMBIS is a non-profit funeral consumer alliance. It is run by volunteers who are area residents dedicated to helping their neighbors make funeral and memorial arrangements that are dignified, meaningful and affordable. To this aim they compile an annual price survey of local funeral homes, which appears on their website - www.fcaambis.org.
AMBIS offers a funeral planning kit to help you communicate your final wishes to other family members. There is a $12 cost. The linked page also offers a number of other free forms.
The average cost a funeral in the US and Austin is about $6,500. In Austin a full funeral with a metal casket will cost between $3,495 to $10,860. Other options can reduce those costs to a fraction of those prices. A family-directed funeral can cost as little as a few hundred dollars.
AMBIS conducts an annual survey of Austin Funeral Home and Cemetery prices. The surveys are useful to rank specific funeral costs by service provider but will not help you price your funeral plan. Prices vary for each service or product you select which will affect the final cost of the funeral ceremony.
Many people find that having a checklist of decisions to be made and tasks to be done when a death occurs helps them to be better organized and, thus, reduces some of the anxiety associated with an emotional time. AMBIS offers A Guide For Families: After-Death Checklist for Survivors
AMBIS assists the community by providing
- A membership packet containing full information about AMBIS and its mission.
- Continuing information and education regarding requirements and options in making after-death arrangements.
- On request, a packet of state-specific advance planning documents.
- Periodic workshops to help members complete advance directives.
- Periodic seminars on specific end-of-life topics.
- A quarterly newsletter, Creative Choices, which is sent electronically to members with e-mail addresses and by mail to others.
- An annual price survey of local funeral homes. Note: This information can be read online. See “Price Surveys” in top menu bar.
- Discounts for members at select funeral homes.
- A biennial area cemetery survey, including cost information.
- A speakers bureau. Experienced speakers can be made available to speak to interested organizations.
- Funeral Consumer Advocacy. AMBIS representatives monitor and, where needed, testify regarding legislation and administrative rules having potential impact on Texas funeral consumers.
- Advice to members relocating outside the AMBIS area regarding transfer of affiliation to other Funeral Consumer Alliance organizations.
- Annual Meetings. All AMBIS members are encouraged to attend the annual meeting to learn about AMBIS operations, accomplishments and goals. The annual meeting also continues the education process with interesting speakers on timely topics.
- Volunteer Opportunities. AMBIS relies on member volunteers to do its work.